At the midway point of the year, it’s time to look back and ask the big question: Just how much television have you binged so far? It’s okay if the answer is a lot, and it’s okay if the answer is a little. Either way, no matter how many hours you sat in front of your streaming device, you’ve come across some memorable characters along the way.
Before we head into the second half of 2019, it’s time to look back at the top Netflix characters so far this year. From the looks of it, some shows definitely have more memorable characters than others — looking at you, The Umbrella Academy — while others we’ve already had to say goodbye to this year. Just because Marvel’s The Punisher is over doesn’t mean we have to stop liking Frank Castle!
Take a look at the top Netflix characters below according to character votes in TV Time. Did your favorites make the cut?
[WARNING: May contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.]
20. Jake Manley "Jack Morton" The Order
We love anything that involves magic, so getting to follow along with Jack as he learns spells (and becomes a werewolf!) is a treat.
19. Justina Machado "Penelope Alvarez" One Day at a Time
She’s a working mom with a big personality and an even bigger heart. Thankfully, after Netflix canceled ODAAT the whole Alvarez family found a new home with Pop TV.
18. Ellen Page "Vanya Hargreeves" The Umbrella Academy
Is she a good guy? A bad guy? Or simply misunderstood?
17. Lesley-Ann Brandt "Mazikeen" Lucifer
She might actually be a demon from Hell, but she’s always going to be Lucifer’s first call when something needs to be done.
16. Gavin Leatherwood "Nicholas Scratch" Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Nick is the perfect bad boy foil to Harvey’s good guy attitude, but it’s not his fault he’s working for the Dark Lord.
15. Drew Barrymore "Sheila Hammond" Santa Clarita Diet
A zombie by day and a zombie by night, Drew Barrymore’s Sheila wormed her way into our undead hearts.
14. Jack Mulhurn "Grizz" The Society
Grizz became one of the standout characters of The Society thanks to his ridiculously sweet coming out and subsequent relationship with Sam.
13. Brit Marling "Prairie Johnson" The OA
You might have no idea what’s happening on The OA, but regardless it’s hard to forget Prairie’s journey through the afterlife and beyond.
12. Aidan Gallagher "Number Five" The Umbrella Academy
He’s smart, he’s sassy, and he also knows what’s happening in the future if his brothers and sisters don’t get it together in the present day.
11. Louis Hofmann "Jonas Kahnwald" Dark
Dark is full of trippy twists and turns and a lot of them lead back to Jonas (throughout different places in time!).
10. Ncuti Gatwa "Eric Effoing" Sex Education
Watching Eric have a heart-to-heart with his dad about his sexuality and having his dad accept that is downright legendary.
9. Emma Mackey "Maeve Wiley" Sex Education
Maeve might put on a tough girl, too-cool-for-school exterior but on the inside, she’s got a softer side.
8. Natasha Lyonne "Nadia Vulvokov" Russian Doll
Though it wasn’t fun for her, watching Nadia die, and die again, was a wild ride from start to finish.
7. Krysten Ritter "Jessica Jones" Marvel's Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones made solving crimes and kicking butt look cool, but don’t try anything she actually did at home.
6. Millie Bobby Brown "Eleven" Stranger Things
If you need someone to save the world — and the Upside Down — call El.
5. Asa Butterfield "Otis Mulburn" Sex Education
Poor Otis. So sorry that all of his incredibly cringeworthy moments made for great television.
4. Jon Bernthal "Frank Castle" Marvel's The Punisher
It’s a shame we didn’t get more time with Frank because his Netflix show was unlike anything Marvel had ever done before.
3. Kiernan Shipka "Sabrina Spellman" Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Somehow Sabrina manages to juggle her personal life, love life, and witch life all while looking absolutely fabulous along the way.
2. Robert Sheehan "Klaus Hargreeves" The Umbrella Academy
There’s always one character the internet rallies around to save and protect, and for the first half of 2019, that’s Klaus.
1. Tom Ellis "Lucifer Morningstar" Lucifer
We’ll forever be so thankful that Netflix saved Lucifer (and his abs) from cancelation.
*The "The Top Netflix Characters of 2019 (So Far)" is based on character votes in TV Time from 1/1/19-7/9/19.